Bloomsbury Whitaker's Almanack is a standard reference work; it has been published annually since 1868 and is available online. Whitaker's content is updated continually throughout the year.
Content highlights include:
- A list of who’s who in government and defence, complete listings of government departments, executive agencies, the cabinet and chief whips; the head of the armed forces, the Army, the RAF and the Royal Navy plus all the other top-ranking key defence personnel
- A top-down explanation of the complete system of UK governance: how parliament and the devolved administrations work, the structure of local government and a complete listing of all local authorities with details of their chief executives and average council tax
- An account of every aspect of the transport, energy, water and communication industries, from car tax to nuclear energy, internet and technology
- Profiles of every country of the world, from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, featuring maps, timelines, population statistics and information on the death penalty, heads of state and the embassies
- The current Royal Family, Kings and Queens through history, peerage, knights, orders of chivalry and chiefs of clans
- The key calendar information that makes Whitaker’s an ‘almanack’ – dates of religious festivals, the Queen’s official birthday, measurement of time and chapters on astronomy and tides
- 15 topical reviews of the year including archaeology, theatre, music and weather, written by experts in each area, as well as guides to UK law, education, taxation and stamp duty
- Weekly rates and conditions of entitlement to all social security benefits including: Jobseeker’s Allowance, State Pension, Income Support and Statutory Maternity Pay
- LiListings of trade, professional and sports bodies; historic buildings, monuments and museums and galleries; charities and societies; clubs, national parks and world heritage sites
Bloomsbury Whitaker's Almanack is available for annual subscription. LYRASIS members may subscribe at any time.