Audio Drama: The L.A. Theatre Works Collection delivers, for the first time online, hundreds of important dramatic works in streaming audio from the curated archive of the premiere radio theatre company in the United States. The plays, which include some of the most significant dramatic literature of the 19th, 20th, and 21st centuries, are performed by leading actors from around the world and recorded specifically for online listening.
The collection presents classics of the Western canon, modern works by American luminaries, originally commissioned plays, and high profile docudramas—by both renowned and emerging playwrights, such as:
- Julius Caesar, William Shakespeare’s classic tale of duplicity, betrayal and murder, performed by Stacy Keach, Jobeth Williams, and Kelsey Grammer
- Arthur Miller’s The Crucible performed by Richard Dreyfuss, Michael York and Ed Begley, Jr., which mirrors the anti-Communist hysteria of the 1950s through the lens of the seventeenth-century Salem, Massachusetts witch trials
- Reginald Rose’s classic study of persuasion and power, Twelve Angry Men, starring Hector Elizondo, Richard Kind and Dan Castellaneta
- The Cherry Orchard, Anton Chekhov’s timeless story of an aristocratic Russian family’s fading fortunes and struggle to maintain their status in a changing world, starring Marsha Mason, Charles Durning and Jennifer Tilly
- Top Girls by Olivier Award-winning playwright Caryl Churchill, a modern comedy exploring the personal expense of one woman’s rise to the top of her field during the go-getting ‘80s, starring Amy Brennenman, Carolyn Seymour and Megan Austin Oberle
- The Great Tennessee Monkey Trial, an L.A. Theatre Works originally commissioned docudrama about the seminal 1925 Scopes trial, starring Ed Asner, Mike Farrell and Sharon Gless
Lyrasis members may subscribe at any time.