Lever Press is a scholarly press supported by more than 50 liberal arts supporting institutions that publish peer-reviewed, born digital, open access monographs at no cost to their authors. It arose from an initiative of the Oberlin Group of Libraries that explored how liberal arts colleges could offer new and compelling alternatives to existing models of scholarly publishing.
Lever Press is grounded on a set of values on which they are basing their work:
- Produce the highest quality scholarship in an economically sustainable model
- Embody and reflect the values of the liberal arts
- Lead the way in establishing best practices for born-digital, peer reviewed, open access monograph publishing
- Lever Press titles are hosted on the Fulcrum platform.
- Lever Press titles are also delivered to a range of book indexers, library discovery services, and platforms including:
- MARC records are available for free download under a CC0 license from this location.
- Lever Press titles are made available under Creative Commons (CC) licenses to maximize opportunities for reuse. The particular CC license chosen is up to the author.
- See how Lever Press titles receive usage all over the world on the Readership Map.
Benefits of Membership
- Agency and Advocacy for the Liberal Arts
- Lever is more than a subscription to a monograph series. It is membership in an advocacy collective that amplifies the voice of the liberal arts ethos to ensure a future for academic publishing and scholarly communications that aligns with this mission and vision.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Lever membership is an investment in a more just scholarly ecosystem. Membership in Lever and Diamond OA is an equalizer, ensuring that institutions supporting the liberal arts ethos have a voice in the future of scholarly communications and academic publishing. All liberal arts supporting institutions, regardless of resources and budget, have the opportunity to benefit from Lever membership and to have a voice in Lever governance.
- Shared Governance
View the Lever Press Member Agreement
Requested contribution rates are based on an institution's most current materials expenditure as reported to IPEDS
||Annual Contribution Rate
|Less than $300,000
|More than $6,000,000
If you have questions or want to participate, please contact Sharla Lair, email@example.com.
Request a Quote