Knowledge Unlatched (KU) makes scholarly content freely available to everyone and contributes to the further development of the Open Access (OA) infrastructure. Their unique approach provides libraries and institutions worldwide with a central place to support OA collections and models from leading publishing houses and new OA initiatives. With the support of more than 630 libraries and research institutions worldwide, KU transitions monographs and journals in a wide variety of disciplines from paywalled to Open Access content. Additionally, KU offers various tools and services for stakeholders in the OA community.
In 2021, libraries and organizations can pledge their support for Knowledge Unlatched and its partner initiatives at the KU website. To stay abreast of all news from KU, register and sign up for the KU Newsletter. Registration does not imply commitment to pledge.
The KU Brochure provides detailed information about all available pledging opportunities.
KU Select HSS 2022 Books (renamed "2022" to reflect the year in which most of the books will be unlatched)
- 343 books planned to be unlatched: 151 frontlist and 192 backlist (2009-2020)
- Participation from more than 100 leading scholarly publishers from 5 continents, including university presses, commercial publishers, and OA publishers
- Provisional title lists are available
- Curated by the KU Selection Committee 2021 consisting of over 200 librarians worldwide
- Covering 7 key subject areas in the Humanities and Social Sciences which have seen the highest usage over recent years:
- Pledge for the full collection or by subject package, including the new KU Focus Collection 2022: Climate Change, a special collection containing 20 titles from several publishers around one topical, cutting edge theme; please note the new Focus Collection sits alongside KU Select 2022 HSS Books and is not part of that collection
- Creative Commons licenses - hosted by the Open Research Library, OAPEN, JSTOR and MUSEOpen and preserved by Portico
- Content discoverable via various systems including OCLC Worldcat, the Internet Archive, EBSCO, ProQuest/Ex Libris
- High Quality MARC Records will be provided by OCLC
Your participation supports an ever-growing number of institutions that are using acquisitions funds to make HSS book titles Open Access. This model benefits both individual libraries and the wider community, by providing access to scholarly books for every reader across the world. There are a number of additional benefits for libraries:
- Enables libraries to contribute to fulfilling OA mandates in certain territories
- Flexible offering – pick and choose from available subject packages as well as the new KU Focus Collection 2022: Climate Change
- Quarterly usage reports to show the real impact of OA publishing
- DRM-free titles
- High-quality MARC records for better discoverability
- Involvement with the creation of future collections by taking part in the KU Selection Committee
Prices for the KU Select 2022 HSS Books
Pledge your participation by selecting:
- Full pledge: The complete KU Select 2022 HSS Books of 343 titles (both frontlist and backlist)
- Front list only: The KU Select 2022 HSS Books frontlist collection of 151 titles
- By subject package: You can also select the subject package(s) most relevant to your users. Within the subject packages it is also possible to pledge for front list only.
Tiered Pricing – KU Select 2022 HSS Books
For institutions in the US and Canada, tiered pricing is available for your regions. See table below for US institutions and visit the pricing on the KU website for Canada. Please note that tiered pricing only applies to the full KU Select 2022 HSS Books collection (or frontlist only) but not to any of the subject packages or to the new KU Focus Collection 2022: Climate Change. Pricing for individual subject collections is available at the KU website.
||Discount on KU Select 2022 HSS Books
||Full KU Select 2022 HSS Books Price
||Frontlist Only KU Select 2022 HSS Books Price
|Doctoral Universities: Very High Research Activity (15);
Doctoral Universities: High Research Activity (16)
|Master's Colleges & Universities: Larger Programs (18);
Baccalaureate Colleges: Arts & Sciences Focus (21)
|Doctoral/Professional Universities (17);
Master's Colleges & Universities: Medium Programs (19);
Master's Colleges & Universities: Small Programs (20)
|All other classifications
(remaining Baccalaureate, Associate, other two- & four-year schools, 1-14, 22-33)
KU New Offerings:
KU STEM Collections:
- EDP Sciences Open Mathematics 2022-2024: A ground-breaking Subscribe-to-Open (S2O) pilot project in Mathematics, this collection includes 6 journals for a 3-year pledging term.
- KU Select 2018 STEM Journals Renewal 2022-2024: Four STEM journals were made completely OA and APC-free for the subscription years 2019-2021 thanks to funding from institutions around the world. KU is seeking library support for 2 of these journals for a further 3 years.
- International Water Association Publishing Frontlist Books 2021-2023: Includes publications in the defined subject area of water and wastewater.
- International Water Association Publishing Open Journals 2021-2023: A Subscribe-to-Open (S2O) of 10 journals.
KU Spotlight Collections:
- KU Select 2018 Journal Renewal 2022-2024: Three HSS journals were made completely OA and APC-free for the subscription years 2019-2021 thanks to funding from institutions around the world. KU is seeking library support for these 3 journals for a further 3 years.
- University of California Press Luminos Membership: Membership fees are used to directly cover the costs of publishing, with any surplus added to an author waiver fund to support authors.
- Open Commons of Phenomenology: An online research platform bringing OA to scholarly materials and resources in the field of phenomenology.
- University Press Archaeology 2021-2023: A cooperative collection from the University of Arizona Press and the University Press of Colorado.
KU Open Infrastructures:
- Open Research Library (ORL): ORL includes OA content in different media formats on one central platform for user-friendly discovery, offering a seamless experience for navigating tens of thousands of books and other types of scholarly content from a variety of sources. Libraries investing in ORL contribute to the development of a dedicated infrastructure for the global research community, while participating libraries have the opportunity to benefit from a set of exclusive services.
- KU Open Analytics: KU Open Analytics harmonizes different usage reports and combines multiple sources to generate a unique overview of which content is being used at your institution.
- oable: oable is a single solution to seamlessly approve, pay, and manage OA agreements and publications.